Friday, January 17, 2014

FIRST GARMENT OF 2014!


Yippee fellow sewists, I have successfully completed a shirt with the help of Pam Howard's Tailored Shirt Class on Craftsy!  I am really pleased with the result.  It has been an interesting experience from the perspective of someone who has been a sewer for many years.  I had given up on garment sewing many years ago as nothing ever fit.  At that time, I would buy a pattern, pick a size that was closest to my measurements and start cutting and sewing.  Needless to say most often, there were so many fitting issues, that the garment usually ended up in the Goodwill bag and I was left feeling frustrated and inadequate.  In those days, I had never heard of creating a muslin and I suspect if I had I would have thought "that takes way to much time!".  Through this process of taking classes, I realize how valuable a tool a muslin becomes.  Through the muslin, I was able to make adjustments and end up with a pattern I can use over and over to make a classic shirt, not to mention a garment I can actually wear with pride.  

I want to add an unsolicited plug for the Craftsy classes!  I think they are fantastic because once you buy the class you can watch them over and over again and follow along as you sew.  Pam Howard's Tailored Shirt class was really fantastic.  Not only do I have a shirt that looks rtw, but I learned so many valuable sewing tips.  My next project is Angela Wolf's Designer Jeans--again I will follow along with her Craftsy class.  I can't wait to see what I am able to do next!   

No comments:

Post a Comment